Thursday, December 4, 2014

Responsibility

What?

This week, I have been made aware of the importance of maintaining a level of responsibility in life. I have a friend who is struggling right now. He really wants to get married.............but out of the MANY girls he takes on dates, none of them are interested. My personal opinion is that all of these girls are turned off by the low level of responsibility in his life. My mom has always taught me, "You need to be the kind of person you would want to marry someday." My friend is attracted to wonderful girls who are driven. He, however, is not driven.

He is a BYU student, but does not go to class on a regular basis. He has more potential than many people I know, but he spends his time watching movies, playing video games, and spending money that he does not have. He stays up all night, sleeps all day, and eats Coke and Nutella for dinner.

I love this friend, and I'm grateful to know him, but looking at his life also makes me grateful for where I am in my own life.

So What?

I am so grateful that I have learned to work hard. Because of difficult experiences that the Lord has allowed me to go through, I take responsibility for my life. I have also learned from other people's examples just how crucial it is to be proactive about my own life. This experience with my friend has helped me realize that I am in a really good place in my life! I am accomplishing amazing things, and have great, lasting joy in those accomplishments.

Now What?

The next time my friend comes around feeling discouraged, I am going to have the courage to tell him, in a VERY tactful way, that he needs to be more responsible. I am going to point out his strengths, and build his confidence so that he feels that he has worth. Hopefully he will realize that he is so much better than the way he is currently living.

1 comment:

  1. That is definitely true! You need to be the type of person that you want to marry. I also think that this is relevant to friends and people around you - you need to be the person that you would want around you! I don't think that sentence makes very much sense, but I think you get what I'm trying to say haha Also love the new blog design! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete